Wednesday, May 25, 2005

On a more serious note........

Lately the weather here has been cold..... I mean the heat goes on at 65 cold.
and rainy, dark even during the height of the day.
I love this weather.
I swear this weather is the kind of weather that made the old country folk see the fairies.
maybe it is the green stuff growing....
the air is full of growth and magic.
(isn't growth magic?)
I love to work at the workbenches by the back windows. I look out through the guardian apples into the little clearing in the second part of our back yard. I swear if I look hard enough I will see the spirits of the plants and trees emerge.
later on the does will bring the fawns down to this protected playground.. ( or they used to, but with the new neighbors having cut all the trees on my line maybe not)
I have watched the fawns dance and play in the long grass and dappled sunlight that filters down through the ancient trees here.
I almost could have spent my entire life content watching the season turn there.
but I realized now, it is time to move on.
My adored sugar maples will have to shelter another family soon.
My maples were part of the reason we bought this place, it has two 270 year old sugar maples on the south side. Tall forest pines ring the maples.... even larger trees out back.
when we came, it was wild and free.
now due to the neighbors we have had to fence.
the deer paths are closed up, the wild turkey no longer travel through twice a day.
I still swear the fairy folk are out there but they are damaged by the cutting off of their paths too.
it is incredibly sad for me
I realize that this is probably the last year I will see the fireflies dance through the trees like lanterns carried by magic and wild folk.
the last year I will welcome the warblers in the apples.
the last year I will see the large stand of jack in the pulpit out behind the old ruined barn.
I am hoping however that the next place we live will have some of the same ancient magic and mystery surrounding it.
but with a lot less neighbors
vi

1 comment:

  1. Hope you get that sort of Peace Vi. Your muse will follow you anywhere, and you will see what other's never even look for. Best Wishes for your farm.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment- it will take a while to appear on the site, as it does get moderated (to cut down on spammers- i also don't allow backlinks)
i do so appreciate your taking time to write to me
vi