Sunday, March 06, 2005

Yesterday's class

I gave a class in sock knitting yesterday at the new local yarn store.
I had a blast.
I had four students.
All of them Finished their baby sock!
( Of course I wouldn't let them go until they did....... hahahaha)

They learned all of the following:

picking up stitches
5 needle dp
M1 l/r increases
paired decreases
waste yarn use to hold a place
afterthought heels
sewn needle bindoff
kitchener stitch
using stitch markers
how to fix your mistakes ( as these mistakes came up)


We also discussed different types of sock yarns and wear issues.
Gauge and how to use that to make whatever size you need.
Superwash and the properties of non superwash.
( it is my opinion that non superwash merino felts just looking at it.....but I could be bias)

Two students want to take my class again, which I felt terrible about as I felt that I failed them somehow.
I am booked for not only this class but also for a cuff down sock class. Actually I think they booked me for several of each class.

I realized also that I need to develope a cute project to teach intermediate knitting to folks that never have gone beyond the garter stitch scarf.
and I also realized that it may very well HAVE to be a different type of scarf...... oye
maybe I can do something with a bit of cableing and the increase/decrease shaping, or considering all the inadvertant yarn overs these folks made.....maybe lace would be more appropriate?
( lace is a good idea since it is coming onto the warmer months huh?)
Anyway I had a very good time
I hope the students did as well.
I hope they will continue to expand their skills and have fun doing it.

Anyway, Bernie and the cats all missed me, I missed them too. Thaddeaus was convinced that Bernie had hidden me in the bedroom and wouldn't let Thaddeaus near me......he kept trying to open the door and sat there outside the door crying. He was so loud that Bernie heard him all the way downstairs.
Then Calpurrnia started crying outside the door too.
Poor Bernie
hahahaha
ok guys til next time
vi
who will now have Sunday breakfast served to her by her Bernie

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your comment- it will take a while to appear on the site, as it does get moderated (to cut down on spammers- i also don't allow backlinks)
i do so appreciate your taking time to write to me
vi