Friday, February 25, 2005

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them think***

Ok so I paraphrased it..... I do that sometimes.
Ok I do that a lot.
why?
because I like it.
hahahahaha
Well I got to thinking this morning, about what goes ON in peoples heads sometimes.
Like me for instance, this morning.
I woke up from what has to be one of my odder dreams.
I dreamt of an old friend who died about 9 years ago, a few months AFTER Thea died.
in this dream she had WINGS..... not big old 'hark the herald angel' type wings....
but little Raphael cherub type wings. I saw her sitting in the car from a distance. She was wearing a tank top and had her arm on the window frame. The wings stood out a bit to the side.... they weren't any more then 18 inches..... BUT, it scared the shit out of me.
Took me quite a while to work up the gonads to get closer.

I did eventually talk to her and ask a million questions about them.
Questions that only an artist would probably think to ask.....

"how does the structure attach? Is there an extension of bone from your skeleton in there? how is the musculature attach? to where? does the pectoral have any thing to do with it? what about the lats and deltoids? how exactly is the movement happening? What other muscles are involved? Do you have rotator type movement? how far can you extend them? retract them? fold them?"

Also I observed that the area coming out of the attachment point was skin! not covered yet with feathers. And also that attachment point appeared to be on a secondary joint on the ridge of the shoulder 'blade' which also seemed to have been beefed up for the occasion very near the spine but not apparently directly attached to the spine. Oh and by the way the trapezoids were highly over developed here, to support the extra weight. And apparently the actual shoulder and rotator cuff have minimal to do with this, as the actual shoulder can stay still and the wings can be moved. ( fascinated me to no end I tell you)

I never got ALL the questions answered. She seemed a bit......ah........ remote.
This needless to say, was one weird ass dream and I woke up pretty upset as well as unsettled.
I realized that I had just experienced ( in a very interesting way) one of our universal myths and archetypes.

I am of course still trying to analyze this whole thing but the most interesting thing ( I mean APART from observing wings on a human up close which was freeken AWESOME) was that I had a feeling of extreme strangeness in this observation.

I mean here was a person I knew very well for a very long time. Change one attribute and a primitive area of my brain was screaming at me that this was 'different' and until investigation was to prove otherwise.... extreme caution was in order. That and actually seeing some one with a non human physical attribute was really eerie. I can only imagine our ancestors without benefit of computer aided animation or latex creature shop prosthetics would have thought if faced with something like this.

Oh and she said that at this point the wings worked as in she could move them however they were not big enough to attain the lift that would be needed for actual flight. So here I am faced with the fantastical, and my ever practical brain realizes that.......duh.... these little bitty wings are way too little for enough lift for a person that size!

I have been walking around all morning with the after feelings from this dream.

THE most overwhelming feeling was the eeriness of having real wings on a real person. I kept seeing actual LIFE in her eyes, not like a sculpture or a painting. This was real moving life. A person I knew. I kept thinking I wonder what would happen if I met up with some of the other myths from our collective history. All the figures and dolls I have done, any of the other work, nothing prepared me for this sort of feeling.

Now to bring us all down to earth and grounded for the day..... pictures of a new buck kid here.....

1 comment:

  1. What an intense, moving, spiritual, and enthralling dream....

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment- it will take a while to appear on the site, as it does get moderated (to cut down on spammers- i also don't allow backlinks)
i do so appreciate your taking time to write to me
vi