Saturday, August 01, 2009

i want a climbing pink rose

for over the front windows
and i would like a few apricot shrub roses out near the street

as some of you may remember, we live in a tiny ( really tiny) stone cottage in the woods
there are much less woods now as there are 'luxury townhouses' build on the ridge behind us
but never the less we are still more woody then not

anyway back to the roses
i want a climbing pink rose over the front window
i would love it over the hood of the front door but i would settle for over the window

when i was growing up we had a climbing 'peace' rose
it was often neglected, and it climbed up to my upstairs windows, and flowered like nothing you have ever seen before
i adored it
even though it had wicked wicked thorns
and heavy thick canes
it is still my very favorite rose
but i still want a climbing pink

now i don't know a whole hell of a lot about roses, i suppose i know more then the average person.
i know they come in florabundas ( they flower more or less all season)
hybrid teas (they are the hot house beauties)
climbers, shrubs
antiques
ramblers and of course my beloved MINI roses ( them i used to grow by the hundreds)

it's that whole spray thing that's gotten me
i don't remember us doing anything at all to our roses as a kid
and it would have ended up being my job to deal with it
so no sprays, no dead heading, no fertilizing
just cutting sprays of roses and bringing them in and plopping them in water
(in mom's cornflower blue vase)

any dedicated rose growers out there?

i am thinking, if we do eventually get my climber, i can always do a mix of clematis over the front door..........
right?

oye

vi

2 comments:

  1. There was a purple clematis on the corner of the fence when we moved in (1986) and it comes up every year. I use twist ties to "train" it along the fence behind the day lilies that are behind the irises. Some years there are more fronds than others and some years I remember to tie it as it grows (and maybe fewer of them break as I tie them) but it does bloom every year. I keep thinking I should move it somewhere but it seems so happy where it is.

    I've never had roses but someone sent me a mini rosebush (yellow roses) as a welcome home from the hospital gift. After the blooms on it stopped, I got DH to dig a hole in the garden and I put it out there in the sunniest spot available (I was more functional by then). It recently got two buds and both opened. Not the loveliest of flowers this time but hey, it bloomed in a mostly shady garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:43 AM

    I'm not really an experienced rose grower, but you could look into Grandifloras, too. I think there are some climbing types.

    Using the blooms for cutting is a good way to "dead head" your roses. Easy and pleasant! Not so easy for a climber, I guess. If I had a climber, I wouldn't worry about deadheading. But then, if I had a yard, I'd let the grass get sorta tall, too, so maybe I'm not the best person for this advice.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment- it will take a while to appear on the site, as it does get moderated (to cut down on spammers- i also don't allow backlinks)
i do so appreciate your taking time to write to me
vi