Monday, October 12, 2009

i am angry

did you know that there are different blood pressure cuff sizes?
and that if you are given a blood pressure reading with the wrong sized cuff, it is not accurate
i also found out that a digital blood pressure machine only will take up to a 17'' cuff
i need a 21''
and that if you take blood pressure with too small a cuff it will significantly increase your reading

SIGNIFICANTLY
now would you say that a doctor that attempts to prescribe HIGH blood pressure meds based an a false reading (and meeting someone for 10 minutes) is competent?

i am livid
and i am not going to take it
i have got to find another doctor

and i have to tell you
that discrimination and phobias against larger people is the last area that PC doesn't go
it's not ok to discriminate against people based on color, or race, or mental capacity
but if you are obese........ it's not only fine but it is apparently the preferred treatment

i have pcos, and thryoid issues
it isn't a matter of 'just lose the weight'
however i get treated like i have some sort of HUGE moral failing because i haven't 'just lost the weight'

i'm sick of it
i eat right, my numbers are all very good.... cholesterol of 145 or under
etc etc
yet a doctor i had just met, basing her assumptions on the above inaccurate information was ready to prescribe high blood pressure meds
and told me to go out and buy a blood pressure monitor
that's how i found out about the cuff sizes and that the digital machines will not take over a 17'' cuff
and that using that size cuff on a 21'' bicep will significately increase blood pressure

to say i am beyond livid and discusted is putting it mildly

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:07 PM

    My Doctor never takes issues with me because I am obese, but he does mention his concerns occasionally. Otherwise he says nothing, and works hard to keep me as healthy as he can.

    Most of the time, when it comes to my weight problems, I try to ignore those like your Doctor and "shine it on." If it were my Doctor though, that would be hard. Good luck finding a new one. I mean that very sincerely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And is this the new doctor you went to today? Yikes! If so, well, not going to be your new doctor for long -- today was the first/last visit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:37 PM

    Ew, I'm so sorry your first doctor "interview" went so badly. It sucks that you have to pay for these interviews too. I don't have a PCP, and I haven't had a good experience with a doctor in years. I guess I'm down on the profession (but I'm lucky because I'm in good health. I'd be livid all the time if I needed more regular care.)

    People say there are good docs out there. I guess I believe, I just haven't found one. There must be a good one for you somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment- it will take a while to appear on the site, as it does get moderated (to cut down on spammers- i also don't allow backlinks)
i do so appreciate your taking time to write to me
vi