Tuesday, January 27, 2009

weather and felted clogs AND have you started YOUR seeds yet?

a few years ago i made several pair of felted clogs ( fiber trends pattern)

i dug out my pumpkin pair last night
and now i am going to knit a few more pairs i have decided
these however will have cuffs to cover my ankles

it's cold you know

ask the duckies if you don't believe me

'mom.............................'
yes duckies

'it's cold out'

yes duckies, but you do have those nice down coats under your feathers

'mom, we don't like getting up though........it's ok after a few minutes but boy mom it's cold at first'

yes duckies i know

i AM out here with you

'mom, can we have hot cocoa?'

no duckies but you CAN have hot oatmeal

and so we go down the slope to the duck pen

we didn't get the winter pen done
so
now the winter pen is going to be the permanent pen but will be done i hope in spring

along with a chicken coop
and

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

a sheep and goat barn
i am going to bring them home
the economy is too bad
and i can't keep up the board
besides i am going to rent them out for poison ivy control


i will tell you folks.......i am starting to get seriously worried about this world

however
that isn't like me.......... while i worry, it's normally about friends and my immediate world...
so it may be that i am a bit sleep deprived
i been knitting and stoking the stove twice a night
(simple knitting....... since it has to be done in a relative coma)


now if you all don't mind
can we talk chickens
( normally the expression is turkey............i wonder where that came from???)

this batch is 5 roos and apparently 3 hens............unless one 'hen' is going to have a sex change
which did happen to henrietta
i need more hens i think
and i would like some speckled sussex
only three
i want to sell eggs this summer
and i want my old hens to go out
but
i may keep a rooster
we'll see
i may also look for a fresh drake.....but falstaff lives out his life here
i just trained him to walk out to his day pen without being carried in the crate
smart duck

but back to chickens
i am thinking of a mostly orpington flock with a few speckled sussex
they are nice quiet birds
they look so cozy and domestic they hug my heart just watching them

if i could find a processor closer i would also get a few turkeys


now
to you all

have you started your seeds yet?
if so
whatcha planting????


i will start this week
i am running a bit behind
leeks
cabbage,
onions are first up

so now
YOUR turn
tell me what you are planting

1 comment:

  1. I want to start some flowers that I have left over from last year as I failed miserably at it. Plus, being in Charleston I'm probably suited to do it, I just don't know how.

    What advice would you give to me if you're wanting to dispense some?

    I'm talking complete nincompoop at doing this flower gardening or any type of gardening thing. I don't even know how to prune my mums or anything else at all.

    Okay, finished whining now. Glad things are still going well Vi.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment- it will take a while to appear on the site, as it does get moderated (to cut down on spammers- i also don't allow backlinks)
i do so appreciate your taking time to write to me
vi