Saturday, January 16, 2010

just a tease

of spring, in the warmer air with the bit of frost
in the mud
i can see some small growth on some super hardy plants like my mints

the fence is now up
thank goodness
more will be going up soon
now even if the 'houseguest' of our uphill neighbor can't understand that you don't curse at neighbors just because you are pissy.......
they understand that we've put our foot down
and if they don't well we have the fence

today we did errands
feed store, (chicken, duck, seed starter, scratch)
hardware, (electrical outlet extension, window box, african violet soil)
pet store (cat food)
grocery (milk, chopmeat, tomato)

the most expensive store? the feed store.......damn, chicken scratch ain't cheap!

we have to go to a different pet store this weekend for a 'kabob' for the budgies but if we don't get there, i'll go next week
ditto sam's club for a cordless phone, which is my one and ONLY concession to everyone trying to get me to get a cell.
this phone has like three handsets so i will leave one on a charging base by the duck night crates and grab it on my way out to the back pens

i just finished putting the yogurt by the woodstove, so tomorrow morning......we got yogurt for breakfast.

i will be starting leek seeds this week, in a window box so i can trench them up as they grow until transplant
i want impatient seeds too and i forgot to get them when i saw them at lowes

our veggie list for this year is tentatively as follows:
beans: both pole and bush (bush for freezing and canning)
cuc's for pickling...... i am out of my kosher dills
sweet peppers naturally... why else garden?
eggplant for canning and drying
squash for drying and fresh eatting
pumpkins for pie and jam
cabbage for cole slaw and stuffing and saute cabbage (oh man that's good with butter)
tomatoes cause bernie likes them.... and i make salsa
brussels sprouts cause i love them
my deck salad garden
snow peas
swiss chard in ample amounts and for a cold frame
beets, carrots, turnips, rutabaga....... i love these
and most likely a few other odds and ends
leeks oh yeah....... leeks for leek and potato soup

last year i threw my back out cause of edmund my tunis wether
the year before the weather was a nightmare
THIS year i am planning on raised wooden beds, hoops houses, plastic and organic mulch
protective plant covers
etc etc etc
we need a good harvest this year

so what's your garden planning looking like?

3 comments:

  1. Garden planning? What's that? It's my shade garden and I watch for the noses to come up every spring. The rose bush I didn't trim down yet (better do that this weekend). The hostas really really need to be divided. Not sure where to put the leftover divided parts but I'll figure something out. Watch for the two peonies to come up. Hope the hibiscus comes up again. It got VERY tall last year. In the meantime, the spring bulbs will have come and mostly gone. The early crocuses start in about 6 weeks, I think. And figure out what to put into the Earth Box. That's spring garden plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:32 PM

    I'm not "planning" my garden. If it happens, that will be nice. The only thing I want to plant for certain is tomatoes and radishes. They are all I need to survive in the Summer anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:19 PM

    I haven't gotten to the planning stage just yet. I'm a little nauseated thinking about the COST this year. The only thing I think I'll try new is fava beans. Maybe just two tomato plants and one or two peppers (because it's really not a good climate for them here). And then I'm searching for green beans that are most tolerant of cool weather.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment- it will take a while to appear on the site, as it does get moderated (to cut down on spammers- i also don't allow backlinks)
i do so appreciate your taking time to write to me
vi