Friday, December 25, 2009

today is christmas day

according to the sentiments...... a day of 'peace on earth good will toward men'
i have been thinking about that
and i am going to warn you all, if you are looking for an uplifting post about christmas......close the browser to this blog now

i wished everyone happy holidays and was taken to task!
it's 'merry christmas' one person indigently told me
another told me 'i don't celebrate that pagan holiday'

another person told me that 'christ was never in christmas to begin with'
(that is actually correct, as according to records the christ child was born in late summer, if i remember the information correctly, and december 25 was fixed as the official day to celebrate the birth of the christ child to assimilate the older pagan yules, and solstice celebrations)

all of this had me thinking
there are all different religions
all different political leanings
and even within the 'same' religion ie: christianity there are so many different warring fractions that contradict and disagree and are ready to burn some poor snook at the stake for not following the 'correct' one
huh?

i been thinking that if i was a creator, and my creations acted like that.........i would be marking them as failure and moving on

what really would it take to have peace on earth good will toward men?

respect

really it is that simple
at least to my mind
to feel that another person's thinking is as valid for them as mine is for me
and to not try and impose MY thoughts, beliefs and feelings on them....
but it has to be reciprocated
the problems come when the reciprocation is not there

i did a simple thing, i wished everyone happy holidays, in one line.
including all my various flavors of friends
most folks took it in the spirit in which it was offered,
my hopes that they would have a wonderful time, all of them.

i could not believe that a few people could twist this simple wish into something they could feel indigent and superior about....let alone think that they needed to correct me!
where is respect for our fellow man in that?

i am thinking in the future it would be easier on my sleep if i didn't bother to wish anyone anything
at least publicly
and i am also thinking that stuff like this has ended up changing us as a society that was helpful to each other, to this dog eat dog nightmare we live in now

this of course led me to thinking about what does touch me about this season...
i don't like that my mom and dad and evelyn were all taken from me at this time.
it seems especially cruel to me
i do like the ancient (and i am talking pre christian) connections however...
there is something i think primal that touches everyone this time of year, no matter if they do celebrate that 'pagan' holiday or not.
i think it may be on the same level that open flames touch us......maybe on a cellular level handed down in our dna

for those in the northern hemisphere, an evergreen tree is derigor..... but there were no christmas trees in bethlehem 2009 years ago.....
snowflakes......ditto
that came from northern euro/scandinavian and is older then 2009 years old, but we breath in the scent......and we are touched, i would imagine just as our ancient ancestors were

now this year we don't have a holiday tree, we have my little orange halloween tree, with it's happy pumpkins and jack o lanterns on it
and i would imagine that someone will decide i need to be 'corrected' about that

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:42 PM

    I am so sorry that others ignorance of respect is hurting your feelings on this holiday. Being politically INCORRECT, have a merry Christmas! and to those who choose not to celebrate bah humbug this is he season of love and kindness??? May those who do not believe may they not see the milk of human kindness when they need it. for those of us who care about you we all say MERRY CHRISTMAS and keep smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:01 PM

    Well, that's a downer. Some people are grumpy, and some people looove to inflame others' grumpiness. I actually do think there's something sinister underlying that, and it does change a society for the worse, just as you say. But fortunately, most people are not inflamed to extra grumpiness; they are regular people who take good wishes wherever they can. It sounds like maybe your neighborhood has an unfair share of grumps. That's tough for a homebody as you say you are (as am I, too). My last and current neighborhoods are full of generally pleasant people -- they do exist, and they outnumber grumps.

    Sorry that made your holidays more unpleasant. I hope you do have some nice memories of the past few days. I know I do (non-religious person that I am, who observes Solstice AND Christmas and any other holiday I darn well please because really, why not? Nobody owns the way I spend my time).

    Happy holidays to you, Vi. There's still another one coming up, you know, to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment- it will take a while to appear on the site, as it does get moderated (to cut down on spammers- i also don't allow backlinks)
i do so appreciate your taking time to write to me
vi