Sunday, July 26, 2009

on solitude

i find lately, my world is shrinking
but instead of it being a bad thing it is a wonderful thing
i guess going back to my roots was the right thing at the right time

i am relishing the time with my drawings, and my drafting table
i sit and go to the place where i am alone with myself
i remember when i was in art school, i would go to that place while drawing in studio classes

time had no meaning there

it was a sort of dreamy half hypnotic sleep state that always refreshed my soul in ways i had forgotten until now

in the very daily-ness of life and living, i had gotten away from going to that place.

i picked it up again while sculpting dolls, but had to again drop it for a while

i don't intend on dropping it again

i find myself wandering over to the drafting table for a piece of time here and there
in between dishes, and duckies
dinner and dusting
i sit and work
then get up
leave the ink washes i have just laid down to dry
while i do other things and let the images run through the back of my mind

some folks have seen the drawings that are coming off of my drafting table now

i am putting them away as it truly does look like i will have enough for a book
and i would like to look at them in the future with a fresh eye

other interesting things have been coming out of this as well
old wounds are being healed while i draw
i had been told by another friend who is an artist
that part of the tension in my life was that i was NOT doing what i was born to do
that no matter what else i did in my daily life,

(although i do write daily)

i needed to draw and design somehow

i took that advise

and i am so very glad i did

i truly am coming full circle

and it seems that the best is yet to come

2 comments:

  1. Perfect, just perfect. Finding your own peace and place. And sometimes it does take returning to your roots -- what you valued and loved in the past -- and bringing a different life perspective to it, because it is not the same "you" that was there before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:16 AM

    I have nothing more original or insightful than a celebratory yay! But it seems you don't need much of anything else at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment- it will take a while to appear on the site, as it does get moderated (to cut down on spammers- i also don't allow backlinks)
i do so appreciate your taking time to write to me
vi