Monday, December 20, 2004

Ok so here are some socks

I knit socks. This isn't entirely abnormal in the circles in which I travel.
(never mind what my SIL thinks of it)
knitting socks is a very good thing as one can only deal with so many scarves or sweaters or mittens, however socks are something you could keep knitting without worry. They are quick, easy and so much fun, not to mention good travel prodjects.
Sock knitting the way I do it, ( compulsively, obsessively, and eternally it seems) make very good menopausal knitting as well.
I had an enjoyable fling with felted knitting. I knit then felted clogs, a round bag ( mezza luna, which I recommend) a cat blanket or two. I plan on doing more knitting for future felting but in the mean time I am back to socks.
my no brainer formula for socks to fit my feet start toe up

CO 10 st.
k 6-8 rows stockingette
pick up around all the edges, I normally pick up either three or four on the short edges which are marked in the middle
increase four every other row until 68 or 70 stitches ( depending on gauge) knit even until about 2-1/2 inches short of the heel
insert two rows of waste yarn between the stitch markers so that half of the stitches are on this waste yarn ( knit back and forth)
continue in the round with the sock yarn itself, do a 2X2 ribbing.
on the next to last row increase in between either each rib or in the center of each rib
knit the last row plain
then do a sewn bind off
which makes a cute ruffle and also fits my fat ankles.
then go back and pick up the stitches for the heel, basically knit a toe and your done.
I do the three needle bind off on the 'toe' for the heel.

The picture with both socks shows one on the needles and one finished but waiting for it's heel.
the second picture shows a finished afterthought heel.
the second one in my opinion is a bit too long for my short wide foot, so this newest one is going to be shorter.

I love these colors by the way.
they make me happy while I knit them. They make me happy while I wear them.
They make me happy just to look at them.

now it took me forever to figure this whole thing out, I could not have done it without Amie's help. So thank you to Amie, for being a really wonderful patient person with an old broad, who can be a ditz at times. ( I even spelled the address to this thing wrong.... gees.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your comment- it will take a while to appear on the site, as it does get moderated (to cut down on spammers- i also don't allow backlinks)
i do so appreciate your taking time to write to me
vi