Monday, August 02, 2010

watching the sun come up on monday

it was again a quiet weekend, bernie has a toothache that he won't go to the dentist for so he couldn't do much around here
he did jump start my van though
as the battery was dead as a doornail

we got hay for the pens saturday so sunday i got to finish that last few feet of the babies pen and also do falstaff's pen
it rained

we went to the bookstore on sunday

all in all a very quiet weekend

this week there is a sale on bacon, 1.88 a pound, plus i need to start calling wood guys
i am thinking 4 good cords should be ok
i would LIKE to get them for under 100 but i doubt it.....i will be ok with under 150 per cord too
as long as it's good wood
there are a few people i am going to call.
our regular wood guy had his prices go way up and his quality go way down so i need a new one
PLUS he did cheat me on price, quoting me one on the phone and then charging me a lot more in person
i really don't like that
no one does
so he'll be my last resort wood guy.

let's see what all else......
i think my spaghetti squash has been gotten by squash vine borer. i was looking at it and it looks like there are holes in the stems now. but way up high which doesn't make sense.
vine borer normally gets the stems near to the bottom.
so instead of yanking them i am going to watch them, if they wilt.....then i'll yank
which is going to break my heart

this week i hope to get down to the provisioner for the 40# box of .49 a pound chicken legs (with thighs) i would have liked to get 80# but i will be ok with the 40...
as the bacon is going to take up a lot of money but then that will be it for the year.
so that's the stock up goals for this week
chicken, bacon and start getting my wood in
i also need a tank of oil but that will cost over 400 (however that should last me then 5 years so i suppose it isn't all that much huh?)

after the oil and the wood then the last stock up for winter is the potatoes....... 50# bags, normally 150# for the winter.... usually 15$ per bag
that's not cheap i think but at least they are mostly yukon golds
i am going to try and find a 50# bag of the leigh potatos again, they were fantastic that one year
superb bakers but not much good for anything else. but wow amazing bakers

i didn't grow pumpkins again but i plan on getting pie pumpkins as usual
NEXT YEAR for growing pie and i think jam pumpkins
remind me to start them inside and plant them out after july 1 with aluminum foil around the bases and covered with reemay to keep out the vine borers.

the cucumbers are really starting to come on nicely now
i am please with there progress
and i saw my beloved heirloom pole beans starting with baby beans.......
i am still watching my one eggplant.....the other plants have flowers but no fruit yet
tons of flowers though
i got two peppers
NEXT year i plan on at least 30 plants if not more even if i have to grow them in hoop houses over 'hot' manure

the turnips and kolhrobi in the garden have sprouted so we'll see how that all goes
i need to transplant or thin or something some of the turnips

ok so that's all the news by me?
everyone have another cup of coffee and please catch me up on what all is going on by you folks?

1 comment:

  1. $15 isn't that bad a price for 50# of potatoes around here. I planted a few pole beans for the first time ever this year. DH never let me in the past, so we have always grown bush beans. I have a vine that is sticking up about 10' so far. They have blossoms, so it shouldn't be long now. I canned 10 pints of beans last week from the bush beans, but some of the plants are starting to look a little rough. I think they just don't like the heat we've been having--95-100 most days. None of my tomatoes are ripe yet, but at least there are green ones. I was afraid we would go straight from too cold for the tomatoes to too hot for them. Most of my garden is in 6 beds, each 4' x 8', plus I have 6 rubbermaid bins with the bottoms cut out where I grow a few potatoes. And the berries, fruit trees, rhubarb, and asparagus are in the rest of the yard. We have a teeny yard, but get quite a bit of produce from it.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment- it will take a while to appear on the site, as it does get moderated (to cut down on spammers- i also don't allow backlinks)
i do so appreciate your taking time to write to me
vi