Friday, August 19, 2011

did you miss me?

well we haven't heard back from the KY sister-in-law so i am going to figure no news is good news.

we were all over for the past two days.
i had two medical appointments.....wen and thurs
bernie took thurs and today off
we got our 120# of chicken
in between medical appointments i packed up most of the chicken

(i got hurt at the first appointment, so doing that chicken was by shear determination)
i have dishes and more chicken to do today

we're getting wood in again today and starting on the rest of the winter preparations

  • wood
  • woodstove/chimney
  • chaulking
  • potatoes
  • snow blower
  • storm door
  • back wall in duckroom

i think we need to prioritize to get them done
but right now i think we're in pretty good shape
now if we get behind on anything of course we're screwed but at the moment it looks good.

so in a few minutes i am going to take my duckies out..... then start my dishes (don't ask but i will be doing them for most of the morning i think)
bernie is going to lowes, for salt, filters and coarse sand for the birds
i am most likely roasting a turkey today for the freezer and the canner
i love my stock in the jars!!!!!
i may do peach and pickles too today

so what are you folks doing?
what's your winter preps look like? and how are you coming along with them?

there is something so gratifying to me to have everything ready for winter- i feel like i can then relax and enjoy the changes of the seasons..... no worries

ok off i go
til next time



2 comments:

  1. I ignored the "to knit" list and skippped over to the kimono sleeve cable and lace sideways knit cardigan for my niece. I have one half of the back almost knit to the cuff of the sleeve -- 8 more rows, I think. It's heavy aran/bulky yarn so going pretty fast, but I can't do it when I'm tired due to the need to keep count two different ways. That's my winter prep for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter? I'm just getting a good start on summer! I will can/dry/freeze whatever I can get from the garden. I always buy potatoes and onions to store in the garage, and the last 2 years I have put carrots in buckets of damp sand, and that works very well. But there is so much to do in the yard. We are re-doing our raspberry patch, where the raspberries kind of don't grow. We have such heavy clay soil, I think raised beds will be better for them. And I am still trying to get all the flower beds weeded. I will eventually cut back some of the perennials. But right now my youngest daughter is moving, and some of her stuff is coming here to live, so I have to make room for it, so that is my focus right now.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment- it will take a while to appear on the site, as it does get moderated (to cut down on spammers- i also don't allow backlinks)
i do so appreciate your taking time to write to me
vi