Thursday, March 10, 2011

4(0) days of rain? mother nature, you're freeken kidding right?

too wet to leave off a fire, too warm to really justify one
so we have a fire
i refuse to turn that furnace on......refuse
besides it's in the basement which is a bit flooded............ with just enough water to be annoying and not enough really to move us out.
the chickens aren't happy
the ducks won't be when they find out they all can't go out again today


yesterday all 6 ducks were out....... phoebe and lilli did NOT kill each other, much to everyone's surprise..... and now are sharing a crate that formerly was malcom's...... malcom is far from happy. 
***allow me to translate duck to english***
'WOMEN in my CRATE and i'm locked OUT of my OWN crate'????
'WTF up wit DAT'?


i am pretty sure the boy is going to be a TAD antsy today- but really that was the best i could do yesterday evening
i need at least 3 more crates...... but to be fair....he is sleeping between four females......... 
he can't exactly touch any of them, as the girls are all in crates.....but he is SLEEPING between them
hahahaahahahahaha
oh man.........


i wanted to tell you folks about how to make veggie powders.
i think that veggie powders are kinda cool
pretty thrifty
a sneaky way of getting folks to eat more fiber etc..
and taste good too


normally i do things like freeze the broccoli florets, and i'm left with stems
which i chop and dehydrate
then powder in a spice or coffee grinder (used only for veggies and spices)
here is the list of what i dry (HINT: i will dry anything at least once and try it)


asparagus (the tough woody snapped off part)
sweet peppers
onions
garlic (yes you can and them make your own garlic powder)
celery
mushrooms
broccoli
leeks
tomatoes
cabbage
cauliflower
carrots
potatoes
eggplant
zucchini
lemons
oranges
limes
apples
peaches
spinach
pumpkin


(ok so yes i do have fruit in there too) 


any of these can be powdered and added to stuff
some stuff is better powered as you need it like the sweet peppers
most is ok powdered ahead in small batches


i add different combinations to soups, meatloaf, casseroles, stews, dumplings, breads, gravy, sauces-


also i added veggie powders to things like crumb mixes for breading meats and veggies..........


and use the powdered veggies as rubs for things---
i've rubbed chicken breasts, porkchops and small roasts


last night i mixed up a bunch of powdered veggies and rubbed porkchops then saute' them in a skillet...... it turned out interesting, tasted good, was different... impressed bernie.......


another hint is
you can use powered veggies to make instant or not so instant soups
cream of asparagus?
cream of mushroom?


i even soak the powders in vinegar for dressings.....


ok so just so you all know....... it does help to use stuff you may want to compost or feed to the chickens.....


ps: and again some folks read once a week so we all may be reading this for a while.....***for folks (and you all know who you are) that are regulars here could you please click on the email thingie at the top and send your email to me if you don't mind

4 comments:

  1. About that poor, lone, male duck; poor baby, get over it fellow.
    VI; I may need to install seat belts on my office chair. So that when I start laughing so hard, I won't fall out on the floor on top of nugget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:58 AM

    I know you already have my e-mail address, so I don't need to send that. Did you upgrade your blog or something? I had 5 invites. LOL

    No, I imagine the hens are not very happy, with all this rain, and even the ducks won't be happy because it's a cold rain, and none too warm, which they definitely prefer. I just hope you don't float away. LO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like mushroom powder for lots of things and lemon powder too. Just gives a nice fresh taste to things

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't done much with veggie powders, and now, because of DH's surgery, he is on doctor's orders to eat a low fiber diet. I am still trying to figure out how to feed us, and keep him low fiber, but keep some extra fiber in my diet. So far I am mainly adding extra veggies for me, or making plain salads (which he can have) and putting extra veggies on the side for me. Low fiber just all seems pretty backward to me.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment- it will take a while to appear on the site, as it does get moderated (to cut down on spammers- i also don't allow backlinks)
i do so appreciate your taking time to write to me
vi