Thursday, April 07, 2005

more Fawn progress

First off I am so sorry we don't have a picture of her yet for you all, but she is coming along.
since I gave her the catnip yesterday, she is making tremendous strides.
She now is coming out for me, not just Bernie.
She also is purring like crazy and is actively seeking us out.

We made a decision about her.
we won't pick her up, (at least for now) she can jump on us or the bed or the furniture, but we won't pick her up.
As all her life people picked her up to show her, or groom her, or put her in with a tom to breed.
now she owns her body and it is on HER terms if she wants to come up or do something. it is HER terms how much petting she wants, and if she doesn't want any she is free to walk away.
it does seem to be working.

Now I still have to do things like clip her nails and clean her ears and teeth, but we are working towards that now.

Ok Fraggle commented on it being cruel to keep an animal in the cage it's whole life.
And I do agree, however my local no kill shelter once said to me, ' we keep them all in cages here, a year or more sometimes, but always remember, if they are well fed, clean, vetted, and in a heated/cooled shelter that is not too bad'
So while I don't agree with these guys having been kept in cages and I won't do it, I realized that the cage is better then either being on the streets as a stray, or worse..... in a cage and neglected, and being unable to help themselves.

Meanwhile, back at the farm, a set of ram lambs has been born. One of these may be my lamb, one is black and one is white. I am however waiting for the second ewe to lamb as I would like a white ewe.
Also in other farm news, Skittles the goat is very sick. She kidded monday and now has some weird disease that Carole told me the name of but I can't remember. She is on anti-botics and her kids are being bottle fed. She is also being tube fed, and they are drying her up. She isn't eatting which is really not good for a goat.

ok I am again going to try for pictures of Fawn for you all but I won't scare her ( everything scares her)
so how about a picture of something else?
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

oh and little Appledumpling got her CAST off!!!! yeah for Appledumpling!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Vi, Fawn is going to love you for the choices you're allowing her to have... how blessed that little girl is for having finally come to a mommy and daddy that will love her even if her choice isn't to do exactly what THEY want at every hour of every day. What a beautiful soul you have...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:24 PM

    I made exactly the same decision when I had SnL. She got to choose to be kissed/hugged or not. So, of course, her first word was 'no' in resonse to "Mommy kiss?"

    Barbara

    http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment- it will take a while to appear on the site, as it does get moderated (to cut down on spammers- i also don't allow backlinks)
i do so appreciate your taking time to write to me
vi