Friday, February 11, 2005

Happiness

I am night blind, and can not see to drive at night.
Why am I telling you folks this?
Because it is important to know this so you understand what happened last night.
Being night blind, I am very careful to NEVER put myself in a position to be driving when I truly can't see. It is unsafe for me and anyone else I would encounter on the roads.

Last night was my monthly spin group meeting.

As Bernie has a new job, he doesn't get home until at least 6:30 or 7pm. Since he leaves at 4:50 am, I don't feel right about asking him to jump BACK in the car and drive another hour, stay up WAY past his bedtime, which ends up with him only getting about 5 hours sleep just for me to go to spin group.

So reluctantly yesterday I was resigned to not going. Which sort of sucked as I really love these people, I can't BELIEVE how important they are to me now. They have all become friends, which I never expected, but I am delighted to have found.
Now Kris, who lives I think the closest to me, but still over 40 minutes away, decided to pick me up take me there and drop me off...............
how unbelievably nice was that?
I still can't believe that she did that!
Now at the last minute I thought it was going to snow, which it did much later on, But I didn't want Kris here in the snow, as where she lives, they really can't get in and out with snow there. ( they run their own company out of their delightful 18thC stone house so they don't HAVE to get out in the snow)
I called Kris and told her, no Thank you but she needn't bother to worry about coming for me.
She wanted to talk to Carole, so we conference Carole........
between Carole and Kris......... I was sort of 'convinced' to go.
Carole kept insisting that I didn't love the spin group anymore and was going to start hanging out with the suburban knitters.........abandoning the farming fiber people with the goats and the sheep.......
hahahaah
I didn't even have time to bake cookies for these folks either......
I did however manage to call Bernie at work to leave him a message that I was going. ( I also hate to bother him at work, I simply don't want to take him away from whatever he is doing, as I know it is annoying to have your concentration broken)
Anyway, Off we went to spin group!
We had two new people last night.
Friends of one of the other members.
We laughed our asses off.
I talked and chattered on and on.....
I SWEAR I love those folks, they feel so much like family to me.
There isn't any of that childish petty jealousies or competition crap that goes on normally when folks get together regularly.
They don't care that Bernie has to come with me, and have told him that he is ALWAYS welcome.
AMAZING huh, but I have been involved with these folks for about a year......... they just aren't that way.
We do other stuff together, we have gone to each other's home for craft projects outside of spin, helped with animals, traveled to fiber festivals....... had parties together.......
I am telling you, it is the most amazingly wonderful thing.
I wish a group of people like this for all of you.
Anyone that comes is accepted, no one is ignored, everyone is helped with knitting, spinning, fiber, & life with humor and affection. We talk about family things, what we are doing in our lives.
We laugh hysterically at tons of funny stuff.
We hug what ever animals happen to live inside the house the meeting is held at that month.
(Linda's last night, so Teddy and Amy the dogs are hugged and kissed and played with, then they go inside to the living room and lay down)
Donna made GREAT cookies as did Linda, so I was ok that I didn't bring a snack.......I sort of felt bad for a second but really it was ok and Donna loved that her cookies were all gone by the time we left...
THAT'S how GREAT these people are.
Some folks that used to say they didn't have time to come now started to come monthly, realizing they really NEEDED this time with all of us together...... the laughter alone was worth it.
I swear I feel like these guys are all family members in a very good sense of the word.......
AND
AND GET THIS........
I told them I needed them to be sock knitting class guinea pigs.....to make sure that when I teach the class I am giving in March, I will be able to help even the slowest knitter.
THEY are all going to Carole's in a couple of weeks, just so when I teach later I will be ok with it.
Anyway, it is almost 6am now.......
and I am almost done with my first cup of coffee.
Today is Bernie and my 28th wedding anniversary. He was in bed when I got home last night but of course, he couldn't sleep as I wasn't there. ( I don't sleep without him either)
I realized last night and this morning......
life really doesn't get any better then this......
money can't buy this feeling.
and sometimes if you are very very lucky.......... life gives you this wonderful gift, AND makes you aware of how lucky you are.
til next time
vi
who is VERY VERY lucky

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Vi, for being fortunate enough to appreciate your good fortune. I hope you read this post to your husband all your spinning group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lanea, I really do hope others are lucky enough to realize when things are good for them too.
    And I wish everyone the honor and privilege of knowing folks like the people in my spin group.
    Thank you for your comment
    vi

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment- it will take a while to appear on the site, as it does get moderated (to cut down on spammers- i also don't allow backlinks)
i do so appreciate your taking time to write to me
vi