Sunday, February 16, 2014

i think i need a career coach

as the 7 or so folks that follow me know......
i've been painting
i went back to illustration a few years ago
taught myself watercolor (as i'd only worked in pen/ink, or oils before)
then started to find my mature style and master color work

meanwhile i am working on series and looking for a licensing contract

and i'm overwhelmed

i tried to do my normal step by step thing but my brain right now (maybe cause of the annual winter sleep deprivation?) is not working

and the more pressure i put on it ...or get put on it... the more it is shutting down on me
i think i need a career coach... but one that is used to commercial illustrators- a general career coach won't work and i think a fine art coach won't work either

i've tried to get a mentor through SCORE but they've been disappointing to say the least...
any marketing 101 book is better then what i've so far found through SCORE
commercial illustration is pretty specialized and i think some things that you should be able to find out for a normal business model ...........you just can't for illustration

and instinctively i know that trying to be a generic illustrator isn't going to work ...not for me, not for the field.... there are too many generic illustrators........ and besides i have no interest in working that way.... i would rather go with my strengths as i figure maybe that's a smaller pond but less populated

i will repeat.....i am so overwhelmed
i really need someone to bounce ideas off i think.... without that person trying to force me into what could possibly be something that may not work

the trick is, how do i know if that feeling in my gut is just fear of change or.....if it's the real thing warning me off that particular path.....cause sometimes they feel the same way!

i also know that with the yearly sleep deprivation due to heating with wood- i am so not on the top of my game that it's a struggle just to get through what i have to do...(such as taxes, bernie hasn't done his receipts from otr from LAST YEAR- which means i have to...... and i am not sure where to start- overwhelmed ..... and actually today, sick ... sinus headache and dizzy as hell)

i keep thinking, get an agent....but maybe i need a career coach instead?

i have no freeken idea!

any one have any ideas? please let me know cause i am at my wits end

oh and btw, most of the paintings have been test printed now...and i have an amazon merchant account, so i believe they are ready to sell.
for the 8x10 they are 22.00 each print.  plus 3.00 shipping for up to 3 prints (USA only right now)

now to figure out how to market them to people who would be interested .....
oye
til next time

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your comment- it will take a while to appear on the site, as it does get moderated (to cut down on spammers- i also don't allow backlinks)
i do so appreciate your taking time to write to me
vi